Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Miscellaneous: I am Mr. Peabody?

Recently I was approached on the street in San Francisco by a youngish woman, maybe in her late twenties, who asked me "Have you ever seen Mr. Peabody and Sherman?" I was a bit surprised at this unexpected question from a stranger, but, mentally whisked back to my childhood and episodes of "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle," I said "yes" (although I think she was referring to the 2014 film "Mr. Peabody and Sherman"). She seemed a little embarrassed as she said "I wanted to tell you that you look like Mr. Peabody" and then hastened to add "And I mean that in the best possible way." She said she thought I looked smart and sophisticated. 

I got new glasses when I was in Japan in March. They have dark, nearly round frames. I suspect it was mostly the glasses. She seemed to mean it sincerely, though, and to mean it as a compliment, but I didn't know whether to feel flattered, as she was comparing me to an anthropomorphized dog – albeit a smart and sophisticated anthropomorphized dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails