Monday, October 5, 2026

Foods I'm Eating: Making Fresh Pesto

Perhaps reflecting mild depression brought on by the state of politics in the US recently, I've been rather lethargic all summer. One symptom, among many, was a failure to plant much in the garden this year. I did, however, put in some Basil seeds in early August and yesterday I harvested a couple of rows and made pesto. It isn't much of a summer without homemade pesto, so I'm glad now that I made at least that effort. 

Proper pesto, in my view, has only the traditional five ingredients: Basil, extra virgin olive oil, real parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano), fresh garlic (lots of it), and pine nuts. I don't salt mine, preferring to add salt, if necessary, at the table, and usually a little is necessary. 

What doesn't get consumed immediately, I'll freeze for use over the winter. I hate to have to rely on store-bought pesto. Even in the relatively food-conscious part of Northern California I live in, the stuff in stores too often is fake – adulterated with things like canola oil, parsley, walnuts or cashews and it's usually excessively salty. It's nice to have the real deal. Buon appetito. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails