Monday, January 19, 2009

Miscellaneous: President Obama

Just back from a weekend of skiing at Squaw Valley, Lake Tahoe. Ordinarily I'd have something to say about that, but my mind is on the inauguration tomorrow. Seems hard to believe that in less than 10 hours Mr. Bush (I've never been able to call him President Bush) will be gone. And good riddance. I will have to get up early tomorrow to see anything of the events before the actual ceremony--because of the time difference. You people in Washington will see more in real time than we will on the West Coast.

How many millions will attend? I would like to have gone to Washington, but it would have been pointless. I would have been distracted and far away. I would have spent my time searching through unknown faces in vast crowds. What would the chances have been of finding a familiar face among them? One in a million or two, I suppose. Stranger things have happened, though, much stranger.

Anyway, I wish him well. I expect to be disappointed--it's in the nature of things--but it's a pleasure just to think that we will have a thoughtful, articulate, intelligent person in the White House for the first time in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails