Sunday, January 4, 2009

Plants I'm Growing: Aloes


At year-end I visited the Ruth Bancroft Garden, in Walnut Creek, a small but interesting collection of cacti and succulents. A lot of plants were covered for frost protection (a disappointment), but quite a few aloe varieties were blooming. There was a small selection of plants for sale. I added three frost hardy (I hope) new species to the garden--Aloe pratensis, Aloe mudenensis, and Aloe distans. Staff member Brian Kemble kindly provided me a list of the more hardy aloes. His list can be found various places on the Web, for example on the site of the San Luis Obispo Botanical Garden (the link is to the list, not the garden itself). A pleasant detour. (The photo shows a large Opuntia, or prickly pear, with a persimmon tree in the background--no aloes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails