Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Plants I'm growing: First Blooms--"Noyo Dream" Rhododendron


Another rhododendron began to bloom today, the bright red one called "Noyo Dream," planted under the bird feeder (it fades to pink). This seems very early to me, but part of the reason I've decided to record first bloom dates for the plants in the garden this year is to get a better sense of what is normal.
 
We had 0.6 inches of rain overnight. I remembered that I had a rain gauge stuck in a box somewhere. I dug it out the other day. Now I'll know exactly how much rain we've had without having to look up Internet approximations based on other locations. The rain over the past weekend was just under one inch. According to the one site I do regularly monitor, we are 6.12 inches below normal at the moment. Only two weeks ago we were more than 8 inches behind, so that's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails