Thursday, February 19, 2009

Plants I'm Growing: First blooms--Osmanthus


The new Osmanthus x burkwoodii we planted last summer is now in bloom, the first flowers having opened yesterday, February 18. It's not as fragrant as its relatives, the kinmokusei (Osmanthus fragrans) and ginmokusei I know from Japan, but very pretty and has a nice scent up close (kinmokusei is partly so attractive because its perfume can be detected a remarkable distance from the plant.) In English, these appear to be called "fragrant olives," although they don't seem to be well known here. I believe they are native to the Himalayas, China, Taiwan, and Japan. Kinmokusei has orange flowers, ginmokusei white flowers. The orange variety--I believe these two plants have the same species name--is much the more fragrant. The flowers are tiny and borne all over the plant. Here in Sonoma County--nursery heaven--I've been able to find the white variety and this x burkwoodii, but I have never seen the more fragrant, orange-flowered kinmokusei in the United States. Shown in the photo is Osmanthus  x burkwoodii

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails