Thursday, June 17, 2010

Found Art: St. Ives Wall Markings (June 17, 2010)

Throughout England I kept seeing these metal plates on the walls with an H and numbers. Sometimes they are brand new, sometimes apparently old, like this one in St. Ives. I don't know what they're for. I'll have to ask Jonathan. This one was particularly interesting against its brightly painted backdrop. Found art.

[Update: My English sources tell me the H stands for hydrant, the upper number for the diameter of the pipe in inches and the lower number for the distance, in meters, from the location of the plaque. This is necessary because the hydrants are buried and hidden behind a cover, unlike ours, which stick up from the ground, making them obvious without an indicator of any sort.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails