Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Plants I'm Growing--First Blooms: White Japanese Flowering Plum (2011)

Two or three blooms opened today on the white Japanese flowering plum behind the house. This is Prunus mume, a wonderfully fragrant plant when in bloom. It's usually among the first plants to flower in the new year, but this is earlier than usual. The plant first bloomed on January 21 in 2009. In 2010, the plum first bloomed on January 19, for a year of 363 days. A year according to Prunus mume was was considerably shorter this time around, at 350 days.

[Update: The pink-flowered version of this plum bloomed January 19, 2011. I don't have a record for the first blossoms of the tree in earlier years.]

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to see the first flowers of your Prunus mume in bloom. It is indeed a treasure. We call it Mei Hua in Chinese. I have link this to my post as here:

    http://www.mynicegarden.com/2011/01/present-hidden-message-and-wish.html

    I hope you don't mind. Thank you very much in advance.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails