Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wines I'm Drinking: 2008 Evergreen Vineyards "Spruce Goose" Oregon Pinot Gris

Here's another bargain from Grocery Outlet, the 2008 Evergreen Vineyards "Spruce Goose" Oregon Pinot Gris. A pretty, pale gold in the glass, it offered a nose suggesting green apples and limes, but with something musky going on in the background. Unlike some Pinot Gris, the Spruce Goose has a little presence--seeming at first fruity and sweet (the sweetness of fruit, not cloying sugar--although this does have some residual sugar) and then tangy, with a lingering finish that reminded me of a nice, tart lemonade (just barely sweet, refreshingly acidic). The tartness lingers for quite a while on the tongue. As with most wines in this price range, the Spruce Goose Pinot Gris is in no way profound, but I'd call it acceptable for everyday occasions. Attractively priced at $5.99 at Grocery Outlet in Santa Rosa. This is the sort of wine I like to have on hand for gatherings. It's sufficiently interesting to please wine enthusiasts in an informal setting (that is, in a setting that's not about the wine), but not the sort of thing I'd regret opening for people who don't really appreciate wine. I went back for a few bottles.

[Update: I subsequently tried the 2009 Spruce Goose Oregon Pinot Noir, but that wine was of little interest. Inexpensive Pinot Noir is rarely worth the money, and this wine was no exception.]


I have no financial connection with any producer or retailer of wine. 
For more wine reviews, use the Wines I'm Drinking label.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails