Monday, August 29, 2011

Birds I'm Watching: Hermit Warbler at Bodega Bay

I drove out to Bodega Bay today on the spur of the moment, having heard that a couple of Hermit Warblers were present at Owl Canyon. I arrived in time to see one briefly before it flitted off (a first-fall female, I believe, because of the lack of black at the throat). This was my first sighting of this species. I got one decent shot before the bird left (above). A pair of American Redstarts was also reported at the same location, but I failed to see them--which is too bad, as that would have been two life birds in one day. I may run out there again tomorrow to try again. Other birds of note were a Peregrine Falcon flying by, a group of Wild Turkeys on the hill behind the canyon, and a Willow Flycatcher (I'm pretty sure).

 For more information about bird watching in Sonoma County, see my Website Sonoma County Bird Watching Spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails