Sunday, June 16, 2013

On the Road--Down South: West Across Georgia (June 16, 2013)

Spent most of the day driving today. I stopped at the Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge on my way back west from the Savannah area. My experience there was similar to others I've had--a lot of bird song, but very few birds to look at. They remain mostly hidden in the dense vegetation. I did see a Chipping Sparrow or two. A couple of young rabbits checked me out before hopping away nervously. I tried to stop at the Harriet Tubman Museum in Macon, but it was closed. I made a brief stop at Madison County Recreation Park, also along the way. There I saw a Muscovy Duck and a beautiful male Orchard Oriole. Earlier in the day I saw more Blue-grey Gnatcatchers. I ended up in Columbus, Georgia, the only town vaguely along my route that seemed likely to have hotels. Tomorrow, I plan to backtrack a little to visit Andersonville Prison National Monument. From there I plan to do more birding, this time in Mississippi, before heading for Vicksburg to see the bluffs there that Grant conquered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails