Saturday, March 28, 2015

Art I'm Making: Two More New Collages (March 2015)

Here are two relatively new pieces--these from early March: Untitled Collage No. 91 (Santa Rosa) and Untitled Collage No. 92 (Santa Rosa). Both are comparatively small pieces, the first measuring about four inches square, the second about six by five inches. As usual, I had no image in mind when I began these pieces, but No. 91 looks like a somewhat surreal landscape, perhaps a Martian landscape, although they say the surface of Mars isn't really the red we often imagine it to be. The colors here remind me of the rocks in the Arches National Park area of Utah, but, again, I had no place in mind when I began. This is another piece that incorporates a pastel-covered scrap of paper I got from another artist. Otherwise, these are colored papers I've made myself by monoprinting with acrylic paints*.

The second piece shown here (below) uses black papers I made recently with nothing particular in mind, just prompted by a desire to work with form rather than color. Mostly black, although I've incorporated leftover blues from past work and accented the blues with a hint of green at lower left.

Click on the images for a larger view. For more, use the Art I'm Making tab to the right or visit my collage website at http://ctalcroft.wix.com/collage-site/ (requires Flash Player). Come see my work in person during the Art at the Source open studios event, June 6 & 7 and June 13 & 14, 2015--at Studio 48, in Sebastopol

*I completely reworked the piece described here later, in October 2015, as I was never quite satisfied with it. I very much like the new version--which is pictured here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails