Thursday, January 1, 2009

Plants I'm Growing

In order to pursue my idea of telling time by the blooming of plants in the garden, I suppose it's necessary to know what is already blooming as of January 1, 2009, so I took a stroll around the yard this morning to see what was in flower. None of these will count until they have finished their current show and start to bloom again, late in the coming year. Alyssum, calendulas, at least two types of manzanita, woolly blue curls (Trichostema lanatum), Coleonema (breath of heaven), New Zealand tea tree, Teucrium fruticans (bush germander), native yarrow, cyclamen, two types of camellia, narcissus, geum, bush honeysuckle (which blooms as the rainy season starts), Mexican marigold (although most of the blossoms have now been blasted by the frost), and a few stray geraniums were all in bloom--a surprising variety. Oh, and rosemary. Musn't forget rosemary--two colors: one standard, the other a pale lavender mother of pearl.  

Edit: I have noticed that Spirea and Westringia (both the white and the lavender flowered varieties) are blooming. I don't know if I missed these in my year-end census or if they have opened up since the start of the new year. These, too, will have to be included in their next bloom cycle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails