Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Birds I'm Watching: Feeder Wars and Woodpecker Blues

Woke up this morning to the sound of a pair of acorn woodpeckers banging on the gutters and then fighting with the scrub jays over access to the bird feeder. Both birds are big enough to trip the anti-squirrel device on the feeder (their weight lowers a sheath over the feeding holes), but both are smart enough to have learned to hold the holes open with one foot long enough to grab something. If I were a blues musician, I would have written something like this.

Woke up this morning, woodpeckers on my roof
Woke up this morning, woodpeckers on my roof
Never heard so loud a bangin'
Done knocked my head right off

Although a recipient of a Living Blues Award,  I'm not a blues musician, so I'll leave it at that.

Also had a big flock of bushtits at the fountain this morning--probably about thirty. I love to watch them flop around in the water, twittering all the while. Who says Twitter is new?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails