Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Food I'm Eating: Excellent Dinner at Syrah Bistro in Santa Rosa

Had an excellent dinner at Syrah Bistro last night. Enjoyed the food along with a good rosé from Acorn--their 2008 Russian River  Valley Alegria Vineyards Rosato. The winery appears to be in Healdsburg, which is close by. I'll have to go visit. The wine is made from a blend of Syrah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Franc, and Sangiovese. In other words, it's a field blend rosé, which is rather unusual. It was substantial, but crisp. It was perfect with a Caesar's salad, Monterey Bay sardines, lemon-scented squid, and pork in a Port wine and currant reduction sauce. Yum. The sardines came with crostini topped with a fava bean pesto. The pork was served on a bed of barley. All presented very attractively. Good service. Good wine list. Pricey, but probably worth it. Glass wines overpriced (why do restaurants insist on doing this?). Overall, however, I can recommend Syrah Bistro. If I were to nitpick, I'd complain about the Caesar's salad. Actually, there's a whole essay I want to write about the Caesar's salad. I'll save it for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails