Saturday, May 29, 2010

Wines I'm Making: Racked the 2009 Wines (May 29, 2010)

I racked the 2009 wines today. I did eight gallons of Zinfandel made from my neighbors grapes. The grapes were in bad condition (under-watered, they were full of raisins) and the early stages weren't encouraging (with a brown, lentil-soupy kind of look), but the wine has come along nicely--considering. It's clear and at least palatable, if not very interesting or with much body. Still, it was better than letting the grapes rot on the vine again. He seems to have been inspired by my efforts--he's taking care of them himself this year.

I racked six gallons of our own Cabernet Sauvignon and the five gallons of "second-run wine" from the leftovers of the main Cabernet pressing. It, too, has improved remarkably, although it remains thin and tart. The real wine from the Cabernet grapes looks and tastes excellent. I'm very much looking forward to tasting it again in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails