Thursday, May 26, 2011

Plants I'm Growing: First Blooms--Day Lilies, Salvia Nemorosa, Pink Phlomis

First blooms of 2011 yesterday on several plants in the garden. The first day lilies bloomed, the deep orange ones under the white Japanese plum tree. Salvia nemorosa bloomed, and the first flowers appeared on the large pink Phlomis by the dwarf nectarine tree. I don't know the name of the day lily any more, but it's one I chose because it reminds me of the day lilies that bloomed at my grandmother's house in Dayton, Ohio. There was a whole bank of them there. This one is a little different--the shape of the petals is wrong (too brunt at teh tips)--but the color is very close.

Salvia nemorosa is not one of my favorite salvias. Generally I prefer the larger salvias to the small ones that grow from a mass of basal leaves, but this one has proved sturdy and reliable. I believe it's called "May Night." The Phlomis is another plant that I've last track of the species name of, but this is a large-leaved variety with pink flowers rather than the usual deep yellow. It may be Phlomis purpurea, or Phlomis lanata.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails