Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Beekeeping: New Bees Settling In (June 3, 2015)

I captured a large swarm from my existing beehive this spring and, finding no one to give it or sell it to, I got a new hive box and installed the bees in what is now our second backyard hive. I painted the hive bodies the same color as the original hive.

The bees have been in there for almost a month now (I installed the swarm on May 5), so the first crop of truly new bees will already have begun hatching (a worker bee takes 21 days to develop). The population of the hive should begin to take off. In a week or so, I'll open the hive and have a look to see how much of the foundation they've drawn in to new comb, and to look for signs that the queen is laying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails