Saturday, April 17, 2010

Birds I'm Watching: Spring Lake (April 17, 2010)

I walked around Spring Lake in Santa Rosa this morning with a group from the Madrone Audubon Society. There was a lot of activity today. I saw 44 species. The highlights were four green herons, a nesting great horned owl, and excellent views of a Pacific-slope flycatcher making a nest. I got an excellent photo (if I say so myself) of the flycatcher carrying nesting material.

Birds I saw: Western bluebird, red-winged blackbird, orange-crowned warbler (7), warbling vireo, white-breasted nuthatch, Pacific-slope flycatcher, acorn woodpecker, mallard, oak titmouse, California towhee, spotted towhee, Swainson's thrush, Bewick's wren, scrub jay, black-headed grosbeak, mourning dove, violet-green swallow, cliff swallow, tree swallow, Anna's hummingbird, song sparrow, white-crowned sparrow, golden-crowned sparrow, house finch, dark-eyed junco, California quail, Wilson's warbler, yellow warbler, Bullock's oriole, Steller's jay, American goldfinch, Canada goose, green heron (4), coot, osprey, American crow, common moorhen, black phoebe, snowy egret, brown creeper, bushtit, great horned owl, and pied-billed grebe (7).

For more information about bird watching in Sonoma County, see my Website Sonoma County Bird Watching Spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails