Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Birds I'm Watching: Point Bonita Lighthouse


I went out to Point Bonita Lighthouse on Sunday. It's near Sausalito--that horrid little city with the predatory parking enforcers. Happily, I didn't have to go anywhere near Sausalito itself. I didn't see much interesting in the way of birds, but it was a pleasant drive to a scenic spot. The view of the Bay with the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance is wonderful. If you go, expect to spend at least an hour for the visit. The small suspension bridge out to the point is allowed to carry only two people at once, so there's a long wait while visitors alternate in pairs, coming and going.

I saw a lot of cormorants. Frustratingly, I couldn't get close enough to tell which kind they were. The vestiges of past dwellings near the light house were interesting--especially the overlapping, lichen-covered layers of plaster, brick, and native rock (upper photo). When I was out at Point Reyes not long ago, I photographed the distinctive bright orange lichen that favors these wild spots around San Francisco Bay (lower photo). I also noticed strata of natural conglomerate exposed there. More found art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails