Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wines I'm Drinking: (Oops) Carménère Rosé

Some of my long-time readers may remember that I reviewed a large group of Carménère wines in these pages a while back (January 2009, to be precise) that included the 2006 (oops) Valle Central Rosé of Carménère (Grocery Outlet, $2.99). It was cheap and good. It's not that it was "good for the price." It was good wine, period. Forget the silly name. The ridiculously low price was a bit of icing on the cake. Not surprisingly, the wine disappeared almost overnight.

I'm happy to report that my local Grocery Outlet (Santa Rosa) suddenly has this wine again. I bought a case. There appear to be at least three cases left. It's worth checking your local store. Only $2.69 a bottle if you buy by the case.

One caveat: The wine is now a year older than it was when I first tasted it. I figured it worth the gamble. After I open the first bottle, I'll report back if anything disastrous has happened to it since last year. A link to my original review appears below.

[April 30 Update: I opened a bottle. It's very tasty--although somewhat sweeter than I remembered it. It still has a wonderful honey and passion fruit scent and an interesting waxy flavor (in a good way) that's reminiscent of the wines of France's Costières de Nîmes appellation.]

2006 (oops) Valle Central Rosé of Carménère

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails